top of page

Get in Touch

Thanks for the message. We'll be in touch shortly.

  • What is a short-term rental (STR)?
    An STR is the use of any Dwelling Unit, authorized Accessory Dwelling Unit or Accessory Building, or portions thereof, for sleeping or lodging purposes by a paying guest for less than 14 consecutive days. This use is commonly associated with an online rental platform (e.g. Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO), but can also be rented without the assistance of a third party service. A Dwelling Unit is defined as a building or portion of a building designed for, or occupied exclusively by, persons living as one household.
  • What is the STR Ordinance and who does it apply to?
    The STR Ordinance describes the regulations that apply to the operation of STRs. It applies to anyone who rents all or a portion of their property for stays of less than 14 consecutive days.
  • I just rented my property out informally. Do I need town approval?
  • What are my responsibilities as an STR host?
    A host must obtain zoning approval for the unit and be in compliance with the STR Ordinance. This includes paying all required taxes and fees, providing information to guests regarding the town's noise, parking, occupancy ordinances, notifying the town of changes to host or local contact information, and listing the zoning certificate number on any rental advertisement.
  • What is responsible renting?
    Connecting owners, hosts and managers with each other and the resources you need to make sure short-term rentals have a home in your town’s sustainable tourism landscape. That includes fostering strong partnerships with local businesses, ally organizations, and your local governments. We also help our network collaborate to ensure our collective resources go 10x as far. Our partners support our efforts to connect STR owners and managers around the country and develop free educational resources to put best practices at your fingertips and take the confusion out of staying up to date with local rules.
  • Do I need to register my house?
  • How do I find my local code enforcer?
    Contact the town office in which the STR resides and ask to speak with the code enforcer. Town office contact information can be found here.
  • How do I find out when my local town board meeting is?
    Most towns meet at least once a week. To find out when your town's next board meeting is click here for the full schedule.
  • How do I find out what the max occupancy is of the home I'm purchasing for STR?
    Check your town’s website for current regulations by clicking here.
  • How do I get involved with FLXVRA?
    Click here to join our responsible renting movement in the Finger Lakes! We are excited to have you!
  • Who manages this site?
    This site is managed by volunteers that have a common interest in protecting the economic impact of STR’s in the Finger Lakes.
bottom of page